Saturday, November 24, 2012

First Drive: Mitsubishi Lancer ES

The Mitsubishi Lancer has been around since 1973, serving as the sub-compact sedan/coupe until 2000. In 2000, the Lancer became a compact car. In 2007, the fourth generation went into production. There were also five generations of Mirage-based Lancers. I recently test drove a Mitsubishi Lancer ES. The ES is a front-engine, front-wheel drive, four-door sedan. The ES comes with a 2.0L I4 engine that produces 148 hp and 145 lb-ft of torque, paired with either a five-speed manual transmission or a CVT automatic transmission. The Lancer ES goes from 0 to 60 mph in 8.0 seconds and reaches a top speed of 124 mph. The car I test drove came with the CVT transmission, alloy wheels, and a rear spoiler. The MSRP for the Lancer ES is $17,095. The price for the car I test drove is $19,685.

The Lancer ES was comfortable to sit in. There is adequate leg room for rear passengers. There is plenty of head room is fine for people under 6'. I found the rear spoiler to hinder visibility through the rear view mirror. The interior is nothing special. The alloy wheels, rear spoiler, and front grill and body kit gives the Lancer ES a sporty styling.

The Lancer ES drove smoothly along the roads and freeway. The Lancer ES has some zip to it. Steering was responsive. The accelerator and braking pedals were responsive. I no issues passing other vehicles on the freeway. The cabin is quiet. I did not feel any bumps in the roads. The car was not jerky when accelerating.

The Lancer ES is a good car. I felt comfortable behind the wheel. I could do without the rear spoiler. One thing I would add to the Lancer ES would be paddle shifters, which is available as an option. I feel that paddle shifters allow the driver to be more engaged in the driving experience. The car has some zip to it. The Lancer ES is good for city and highway driving. If you want a better performing Lancer, there is the Lancer GT, Lancer Evolution, and Lancer Evolution. But if you want a four-door sedan for under $20,000 and has decent performance, give the Lancer ES 

CarJunkie
Photo was taken by a camera phone.
To see more car related articles, check out http://carjunkie713.blogspot.com/.
Follow me on Twitter @CarJunkie713.

No comments:

Post a Comment