Wednesday, February 13, 2013

First Drive: Chrysler 300S

The Chrysler 300 has been around since the spring of 2004, serving as the full-size luxury sedan for Chrysler. It replaced the Chrysler Concorde. In 2011, the second generation Chrysler 300 was released. At the 2011 New York International Auto Show, Chrysler revealed an "S" level trim for the 300. At the 2013 Houston Auto Show, I was able to take the 300S out for a test drive. This was one of two versions of the Chrysler 300 that I drove. The other 300 was tuned by SRT.

The 300S has a nice exterior. It is not sporty or aggressive, but it looks luxurious. I prefer the lined grill on the second generation 300 over the checker grill on the first generation 300. It has a nice hood and a slanted truck, and a nice luxurious side profile. The 300S also comes with 20" polished aluminum wheels with black painted pockets, and a black painted grill and headlamps. The 300S comes with a 10-speaker Beats by Dr. Dre sound system, and steering wheel mounted paddle shifters. The interior is luxurious. The 300S has leather seats with the Chrysler 300S logo located on the upper part of the seats. The dashboard is wrapped in leather. The seat was comfortable and I had good head room and leg room behind the wheel.

The 300S is powered by a 3.6L V6 enigne, paired with a eight-speed automatic transmission that comes with paddle shifters, that produces 292 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque. The 300S goes from 0 to 60 mph in 6.6 seconds and reaches a top speed of 114 mph. The 300S has good acceleration and power throughout the rpm range. The acceleration was smooth. I did not feel any jerky motions when I upshift and downshift. The 300S has a very comfortable ride. It was very quiet inside the 300S. The 300S also has good handling. The car responded when I turned the wheel. Prices for the 300S start at $33,995, which is a good value for what you get with the 300S.

Overall, the 300S is a good full-size luxury sedan. It has good acceleration and a good ride quality. The car drives smoothly on city roads. I was very comfortable behind the wheel. And you get a good car for under $35,000. So if you are looking for a good domestic luxury full-size sedan and do not want to spend $40,000, give the Chrysler 300S a test drive. If you want a Chrysler 300 is a Hemi V8, there is an SRT-8 version of the 300.

CarJunkie
Photo was taken by a digital camera.
To see more car related articles, check out http://carjunkie713.blogspot.com/.
Follow me on Twitter @CarJunkie713

1 comment:

  1. This is a great car, a car that any of us would love to drive, especially on a vacation.
    I tried to find such a car when I was in Brasov but the car rental company I found had only a few cars and none like this one.

    I rented a Chevy Aveo, a nice car but a car that can't be compared with a Crysler.
    Maybe next time I'll be more lucky and find a better car to drive during my vacation. But first I have to decide where to go on a trip this summer.

    ReplyDelete