Thursday, March 14, 2013

First Drive: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Chevrolet discontinued production of the Camaro in 2002. In March of 2009, Chevrolet started production on a new Camaro. The new Camaro is a very popular pony car/muscle car. I see Camaros everyday on Houston roads and highways. Both old and new Camaros are on display at the various car shows in Houston. At the Houston Auto Show, General Motors/Chevrolet brings a Camaro SS available for test drives. Since moving back to Houston after graduating college in 2010, I have attended the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Houston Auto Shows. I did not test drive any cars in 2011. I attended the 2012 Houston Auto Show with my dad and we test drove five cars. Unfortunately, there was a line for Camaro, so we went in the Chevrolet Volt. During the fall of 2012, I test drove a Camaro RS, which is powered by a 3.6L V6. At the 2013, Houston Auto Show, I finally got behind the wheel of a Camaro SS. But in order to drive the Camaro SS, I had to first drive another General Motors car that was not a Cadillac. I test drove the Chevrolet Spark before I was able to test drive the Camaro. However there was a line, so I drove the Buick Enclave and hope that the line shortened for the Camaro. After driving the Enclave, I had to wait behind five other people before I got my chance behind the wheel of the Camaro SS. The version of the Camaro I drove was the Camaro 2SS, which is the upscale trim level for the Camaro SS.

The Camaro has a retro sporty styling, which I like. The Camaro has a low roof line, which minimizes head room. The is a SS insignia on the corner of the grill. The Camaro has a great side profile. The Camaro has a sporty interior. There is not much head room in the Camaro, especially for rear passengers. The Camaro has a 2+2 seating arrangement, but adults would not be comfortable sitting in the back. The seat itself is comfortable. I had good leg room behind the wheel. The Camaro 2SS comes with a rear camera and a 7: touchscreen. 

The Camaro SS I drove is powered by a 6.2L V8, paired with six-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters, that produces 426 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque. It goes from 0 to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds and reaches a top speed of 157 mph. The Camaro SS is a quick car. It has really good power distribution throughout the rpm spectrum. Gear shifts were smooth when using the paddle shifters. The car drove smoothly on the Houston roads. Steering is responsive. For a car with a 6.2L V8, it was quiet inside the Camaro. Prices for the Camaro SS starts at $33,535. The version I drove, the Camaro 2SS, starts at $37,035, which is not bad for a performance car. 

Overall, the Chevrolet Camaro SS has great performance at a reasonable price. The Camaro also has a sporty retro styling. The Camaro lacks in the head room department. The low roof line minimizes head room. Since this is a sports coupe, there is very little leg room for rear passengers. If you are looking for a performance car at a reasonable price, give the Camaro SS a test drive. If you want a family car, then the Camaro is not for you. So after passing up the opportunity to drive a Camaro SS two years in a row, I was glad that I finally drove one. The Camaro SS is a fun car to drive, even if it is lacking in head room.

CarJunkie
Photo was taken by a digital camera.
To see more car related articles, check out http://carjunkie713.blogspot.com/.
Follow me on Twitter @CarJunkie713

1 comment:

  1. I couldn’t agree more with what you wrote. You will your money’s worth with a car like that. All you have to do is routinely check on every detail especially its digital parts; they are somewhat the most delicate parts of the car. Anyway, having the convenience of a 7-inch touch screen that has multitudes of functions would make your driving easier and more convenient


    Andre Brennan

    ReplyDelete