Tuesday, August 20, 2013

First Drive: 2013 Scion xD

In 2002, Toyota created the Scion brand. The Scion brand consists of vehicles targeted towards young buyers in the United States. In 2004, two Scions made their debuts, the Scion xA, a rebadged Toyota ist, and the Scion xB, a rebadged Toyota bB. Both the xA and the xB are five-door hatchbacks.In 2007, the production runs of the xA and the first generation xB ended. In 2007, the second generation Scion xB went into production. The xA was replaced by the xD. The Scion xD is a rebadged second generation Toyota ist. The Scion xD is a subcompact front engine, front-wheel drive, five door hatchback. I have seen several xDs on the road. They have made appearances at the Houston Auto Show. While Scion did have a Ride and Drive booth at the 2013 Houston Auto Show, the xD was not available for test drives. During one Saturday in August, I took a Scion xD out for a test drive when my car was having its state inspection and oil change at the local Toyota/Scion dealership. The version I drove came with a four-speed automatic transmission. The Scion xD comes with a five-speed manual transmission as standard.

The Scion xD has a above average styling for a subcompact hatchbac The styling is bold and aggressive when compared to other subcompact hatchbacks.The front facial extends beyond the hood. This gives it an bold look. The rear hatch has a slight curve to it. The version I drove came with a rear spoiler. What hurts the appearance is the five-spoke wheel cover. I do not like wheel covers. They look cheap. I prefer actual wheels, which give cars a more appealing look. The xD is available with 16" five-spoke wheels as a $795 option. For a brand that focuses on younger drivers, the interior is nothing special. The standard pioneer radio system is nothing special. The driver seat was comfortable. I had good head room, but the legroom was barely adequate.

The Scion xD is powered by a 1.8L I4 engine that produces 128 hp and 125 lb-ft of torque. It goes from 0 to 60 mph in 8.9 seconds and reaches a top speed of 118 mph. The xD felt slower than the 0-60 mph time suggests. The ride quality of the subpar. The xD blocks out all noises except for the engine. The engine is quite loud. Also the xD is rough when traveling along bumpy roads. The xD is boring to drive. Not much excitement behind the wheel. Steering is responsive if a little bit numb. Prices for the Scion xD start at $16,550, including an $805 destination fee. The version I drove with the automatic transmission starts at $17,350, including an $805 destination fee. For that price, you do not get a lot of car. Scions come with lttle standard, but Scion buyers are encouraged to customize their vehicles with aftermarket parts.

Overall, I was not impressed with the Scion xD. I found the car to be lacking. I know Scion encourages customization, but the xD should come with more toys as standard. The standard interior for the xD is just bland. The four-speed automatic transmission feels outdated. The xD comes with a five-speed manual transmission and is the preferred transmission. The 0-60 mph times are under 8.0 seconds for the manual. The automatic version I drove felt sluggish in the acceleration department. The xD also has a boring driving experience and an unnecessarily noisy engine. It is hard for me to recommend this car. There are better subcompact hatchbacks available. As far as the Scion brand goes, only the Scion FR-S has impressed me.

CarJunkie
Photo was taken by a camera phone.
To see more car related articles, check out http://carjunkie713.blogspot.com/.
Follow me on Twitter @CarJunkie713.

1 comment:

  1. This is such an amazing car. After reading this post I have known that every part of this car with best quality. I am to buy a car in few days and I really want to buy this type of perfect piece. is it for selling? if yes tell me its prize.

    ReplyDelete